Public Records Request

Green Mountain School District values your right to access public records. Washington law requires that, on request, the office make identifiable, public records available for inspection and copying.

How do I make a Public Records Request?

You must make your request in writing and then send it to the Green Mountain School Office. Your request must include a valid telephone number and valid mailing address or e-mail address for GMSD to respond. There are several ways to make a request.

E-mail, fax, mail, or hand-delivery: To send your request, Click HERE for Form PRR 001 and then:

  • Hand deliver:
    Green Mountain School District 
    13105 NE Grinnell Road 
    Woodland, Washington 98674

How long will it take for a response?

GMS will respond within five business days of receiving your request. Our response will either:

  • Include the requested records.
  • Acknowledge the request and, if necessary, ask for clarification.
  • Give a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to provide the record.
  • Deny the request and cite the legal reason for the denial.

What will it cost?

Inspecting records is free. The records are available for inspection and photocopying (excluding legal and school holidays) Monday through Friday, 9 A.M. to 12 P.M. and from 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. Please make an appointment by calling 360-225-7366.

If you want copies of the records, the law allows state agencies to charge for the actual costs directly related to the copying of public records (Revised Code of Washington 42.56.120). These costs include such items as those related to the copy machine (maintenance, paper, and other supplies) and staff time devoted to the copying process. The agency may not charge a fee for inspection of records or staff time spent on locating records or retrieving records. The agency is not allowed to make a profit from copy fees.

Postage charges will be added when GMSD is asked to send items through the U.S. mail or other delivery service. GMSD may decide not to charge for services if the cost is seen as negligible. In some instances, advance payment may be required.




Black and White Copy: 8.5"x11," 8.5"x14," 11"x17"

15 cents per page*

Color Copy: 8.5"x11," 8.5"x14," 11"x17"

25 cents per page*

Microfilm Reader/Printer

Actual costs incurred by agency


$1 per CD


$2 per DVD


Actual costs incurred by agency


Actual costs incurred by agency

Scanning Fee

10 cents per page*

Video Cassette

Actual costs incurred by agency

Outside Vendor

Actual costs incurred by agency

Note: Actual costs incurred by the agency may include sales tax and will be accompanied by a receipt from the vendor. Examples include: FedEx Copy Center, photograph printing, etc.

*Two-sided document equals two pages


Effective June 15, 2018


What records are exempt from disclosure?

Only records that are exempt by law may be withheld from disclosure. Common exemptions include the following.

  • Archaeological Site Records: Maps or other information identifying location of site or sites. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.300]
  • Preliminary Documents: Preliminary drafts, notes, recommendations, and intra-agency memorandums in which opinions are expressed or policies formulated or recommended UNLESS cited publicly or within an official public record. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.280]
  • Personal Information: Information not related to disciplinary action or performance as a state employee (e.g., payroll records, examination questions, medical condition information, Social Security number, residence address, personal phone numbers, and personal e-mail addresses). [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.23042.56.25042.56.210(1)]
  • Real estate appraisals: Real estate appraisals relative to the acquisition of property, until the prospective sale is abandoned or completed. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.260]
  • Farm Plans: Farm plans developed by conservation districts, unless permission to release the farm plan is granted by the landowner or operator who requested the plan, and farm plans developed under chapter 90.48 Revised Code of Washington and not under the federal clean water act, 33 U.S.C. Sec. 1251 et seq. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.270]

For More Information

Dave Holmes, Public Records Officer 
Telephone: 360-225-7366